Pre-Approval Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be a City of Santa Monica Water customer
- The property had lawn in 2016-2018
- Staff can verify the presence of lawn through Google Maps and the City’s GIS system or customer-provided dated photos
- An online application was completed and submitted
- The property did not already receive a rebate or grant for landscaping
A property can only receive 1 yard rebate and 1 parkway rebate.
- The signed Landscape Rebate Installation Requirements Form must be submitted
- The signed and completed Form W-9 must be submitted
- Projects must be completed withing 6 months of receiving approval to proceed.
Completed Projects Must Have
- Lawn removed in the converted area.
- Climate-appropriate plants that cover at least 25% of the converted area.
- City-specified drip irrigation or hand-watering.
- If installing patios and walkways in your yard, they can have gravel, decomposed granite, pavers, un-grouted stepping stones or permeable paving. The converted area must be permeable to air and water.
- Use organic mulch around plants and trees except ground cover (do not use gravel).
- The completed Oaks Initiative Form for payees receiving $10,000 or more in rebate funding.
- All landscaping and irrigation on the property must comply with the City of Santa Monica's Water-Efficient Landscape Irrigation Standards, including the project that is receiving rebate funds.
We have a mutual goal to save water and these requirements help to ensure your project will be sustainable and water-smart.
Completed Projects Must Not Have
- Plants that look like lawn (single-bladed plants, seed mixes) such as buffalo grass or native bent grass
- Plants in the Do Not Plant List
- Artificial turf
- Sprinkler irrigation
- Invasive plants
- Installed as part of new construction, new development, or major remodels
- Gravel in the parkway or installed in the yard as mulch or in the planted areas